If you are shifting with your parents it is most expected that the idea of shifting to a new place and also the process will be more difficult to deal with for your parents than yourself. So, you actually need to understand their needs and manage things in a way so that they do not find the process of moving extensively challenging. Here are some suggestions that can help you immensely to make the shifting much easier for your older parents, which will make it easier for you as well.
- Inform your parents as soon as you are confirmed about the shifting. Change of place can be overwhelming for any senior person and to deal with the situation they need enough time to mentally accept the change. So, do not keep it a secret, rather discuss with them why it is essential to shift for you and they are most expected to understand.
- Try to make your parents like the new place before you actually shift to the place. If possible take them to your new address before shifting. Otherwise, show them pictures of the place and inform them about the better facilities that he/she is expected to get at the new place.
- Let your parents inform all of his/her friends about the move in time and encourage them to have a meeting before you actually move out. This can be very helpful to ensure that your parents will not lose their friends only because they are shifting with you.
- Check out the bank of your parent to ensure that the required formalities have been performed properly. If you need to transfer his/her account to a branch of the same bank, it might not be a big thing to do, but if the bank do not has a branch in the nearby area of your new address, you might need to close the account. So, discuss these things and take the necessary steps in advance.
- It is also essential to have a talk with the doctor of your parent before you actually move him/her. You also need to ensure if moving will be physically suitable and if some precautions need to be taken during the moving to ensure that your parent is in best of health. Also collect emergency medications from the doctor and ask for references in your new place.
- If your parent is in a sound health, give him some small responsibilities related with shifting even if you have appointed fairprice movers for the job. It will keep him/her connected and encouraged.
Follow the above guidelines and you are sure to make moving much easier for your parents.