Home

The Dangers Of Mold Damage And Why Prompt Restoration Is Crucial

Mold can turn prized possessions into musty relics and make people with allergies cough, wheeze, or have itchy eyes or skin. Some individuals may have more severe reactions.

The best approach to controlling mold growth is to correct the conditions that are causing it. Clean surfaces with a mixture of detergent and water.

The Dangers of Mold Damage

Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in areas where water or moisture collects. It grows best when it has a food source, which includes cellulose materials like wood and drywall. Mold spores float in the air, and they can enter homes and businesses through open windows or doors as well as vents and heating and cooling systems.

Mold spores can affect anyone, but infants, children, elderly people, and those with chronic lung problems or asthma are at greater risk of developing severe symptoms from exposure to mold. Common symptoms include a runny nose, sneezing, itching, and coughing. Some types of mold produce mycotoxins, which can be toxic to humans when they inhale them.

Mold growth can be prevented by ensuring that contaminated items are properly cleaned and dried as soon as possible after a disaster. This is especially important during natural disasters when flooding, sewage backups and leaky pipes create excess moisture. It is also a good idea to keep indoor humidity levels below 55 percent by using fans and opening windows as much as possible, and cleaning regularly with soap and water and a solution that kills mold, such as bleach or plain vinegar.

Mold Exposure

Mold spores are tiny particles that float through the air. They can attach to objects and people, causing skin rashes, runny nose, cough, eye irritation and aggravation of asthma symptoms. People with weakened immune systems and respiratory conditions are especially susceptible to these problems.

Molds also decompose and can produce mycotoxins, which can be toxic to humans. In general, however, small amounts of mycotoxins produced by normal mold growth are unlikely to cause toxicity in healthy people.

It is important to clean up any moldy food immediately and to throw away the moldy item (not just putting it in the freezer). For wood, metal, glass, ceramics and other non-porous items that can be cleaned, wipe them down with a solution of lukewarm water and detergent. Items that cannot be cleaned and are porous, such as drywall and some fabrics, must be removed, as well as any structural materials and insulation material affected by the mold.

Mold Symptoms

Inhaling mold spores can trigger allergic reactions in sensitive people, including runny nose, itchy eyes and skin. Some people may have more severe symptoms, such as wheezing and shortness of breath. Molds can also cause infections in immunocompromised individuals, such as those with underlying respiratory conditions like asthma.

Molds grow in moist cellulose materials, such as wood and drywall. They produce a musty smell and are often dark in color. If a home has a musty or earthy odor it is likely there is a mold problem.

A number of symptoms can be associated with toxic mold exposure, which include chronic fatigue, memory loss and cognitive dysfunction, rashes and hives, and lung issues. It is important to see a physician if you have these symptoms. It is possible that the symptoms are caused by another health issue such as Lyme disease or an autoimmune condition, but if no other diagnosis has been made and these symptoms persist it is worth considering mold illness.

Mold Removal

If your home is contaminated by mold, the first thing to do is stop the spread of spores. This is most effectively done by eliminating the source of moisture and preventing it from coming back.

A professional can help with San Fernando Valley mold damage restoration. They will determine whether the area of mold growth is large enough to be a health concern, and they can recommend the best course of action for removing it.

A good rule of thumb is that if the area of mold is greater than one square meter, it is a health risk. Mold spores can trigger asthma, infections and other respiratory problems. This is especially true in infants and children, people with weakened immune systems, and individuals who are sensitive to mold. The most effective way to prevent future mold problems is to control moisture in the building by identifying and correcting conditions that promote it, cleaning hard surfaces with commercial products or soap and water, and ventilating shower, laundry and kitchen areas.